Simran - I Wonder...

"Sometimes, I am terrified of my heart; of its constant hunger for whatever it is it wants. The way it stops and starts." -Edgar Allan Poe

Benefits of Traveling the World

“We are torn between nostalgia for the familiar and an urge for the foreign and strange. As often as not, we are homesick most for the places we have never known.”- Carson McCullers

In the summer of 2016, my family planned our very first camping trip to Waterton. I couldn’t wait to spend the night in a tent. It all brought back the memories of the pillow forts I used to build in childhood.

We arrived and spent the morning wandering around this beautiful town surrounded by mountains that reached the sky. The baby deer roaming around me brought warmth to my heart while the bright sun shone on my skin that had been aching for a different air to breathe in. It was almost unbelievable how a place 3 hours away from my house could be so different and full of life.

This realization made me want to travel farther, explore more and feel what I had never felt before. Time flew by and it was almost time to sleep. We spent an hour trying to figure out how to build our home for the night. Soon after, I remember standing by the river, looking at our tent with a proud smile on my face. Before going to sleep, my family and I danced around without music by the river and I discovered my passion for photography. Then, all of a sudden it began to rain. Not thinking much about it, we ran to our tent and waited for the rain to stop so we could grab some food from our car. Unexpectedly, the rain just got louder and heavier. My sister and I rolled around laughing while our dad ran to the car without an umbrella. That night was spent less sleeping and more listening to the rain trying to break in.

This trip turned out nothing like we thought it would and that was the best part. The memories I made, the knowledge and experience I gained in just this one day trip left me wondering what magic traveling the world would do.

Wanderlust – (n.) A strong desire or urge to wander or travel and explore the world. Why don’t more people experience this feeling? We live in a beautiful world, where each part is more erotic than another. Most individuals spend their entire lives living in the same place, ironically, complaining about their boring lives. Life is too short, the world is too big. Exploring it only brings us happiness and knowledge. Traveling honors one with purpose to live.

Traveling changes an individual to a great extent. Most significantly, it does so through teaching us that life is a precious gift. As we travel and experience more of the world and life, we often become overwhelmed with gratitude. We begin to appreciate all the beautiful moments and the people we shared those moments with. Traveling also gives birth to the realization that we can explore and experience while we’re still young and full of energy.

It’s been scientifically proven that traveling increases happiness and decreases depression. Studies showed that the happiness after a trip lasted for several weeks after returning home. Addition to mental health, one’s physical health also improves.

Through traveling, we  began to understand how humans are connected. Meeting people and realizing how different and similar they are to you at the same time opens doors to a complete different perspective to view life and connections with human around you. Stepping out of your comfort zone showers so many opportunities. For example, A warm smile at a stranger or a simple “so where are you from?” may lead to lasting friendships with people from all over the world.

It is scary to think that we only have one chance, one life. We will never know what exactly people around us are feeling or living. We will never have experienced the exact same moments. We may never view the thing another person did in the same way as them. Traveling allows for many chances to experience life to the fullest, to maybe feel what others feel. There is always a chance to try something new, something you would never try. Through this, we began to realize life is a wonderful gift.

Something so simple such as starting the day with coffee and a sunrise can be more rewarding then 5 more minutes of sleep. Sometimes, adventures hidden in  finding your way back home in a new city can be more precious than finding wifi.

Experiences encountered, challenges faced and knowledge gained all one day turn into stories and memories that shape one’s identity. Getting to know the the world we live in helps us learn about who we are. The most wonderful part about traveling that it will always be a part of us, forever. “I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world”- Mary Anne Radmacher

When returning home from an adventure, you are no longer the same you. Instead now, you are filled with new energy, new passions, new goals, new memories and a new satisfaction in your heart.

In conclusion, traveling makes your body, brain and most importantly your soul happy. The fact happiness increases your life expectancy proves that traveling will let you live longer. Therefore, if you do not want to die, travel the world and live.

“The farther I go, the closer I am to myself.”

References:

• “7 Reasons Traveling Is Good for the Mind and Body.” TripSavvy, www.tripsavvy.com/how-travel-will-enhance-your-life-1458533.
  • “7 scientific facts that prove travel is good for your health.” Matador Network, matadornetwork.com/bnt/7-scientific-facts-prove-travel-good-health/.
  • “Do Travellers Live Longer? Here are 5 Benefits of Travelling.” Do Travelers Live Longer? 5 Health Benefits of Traveling|Collette, www.gocollette.com/en-ca/traveling-well/2016/09/do-travelers-live-longer.

Next Post

Previous Post